There are certain things that can be detrimental to your progress when you are trying to build muscle. It is important to know how to train, how to eat and take care of your health in general. The following seven tips will help you to keep fit and healthy by showing you muscle building mistakes to avoid, so that you can achieve your goals:
1. If you find yourself spending more than an hour on your training, then you are probably spending too much time in the gym. The saying goes, “If you train for a couple of hours in the gym, you’re probably making friends.” To a beginner, staying for long periods in the gym may seem like a good idea but in the long run it is not beneficial. The best way to train is to do intense sets for fifteen to twenty minutes at a time for each muscle group. High Intensity Training is the best way to build muscle.
2. There was a time when eating as much as you possible in order to build muscle was encouraged. This meant that eating as much beef, potatoes and any form of food you could get your hands on was considered a good approach to getting enough calories. However, these days that is discouraged as it is better to eat “clean” all throughout the day. This means that your digestive system will not be overworked and it will not take long for you feel hungry again. The key is to eat the right things in small portions throughout the day so that you can have at least five or six small meals a day. If these meals have the right calories then you will have no trouble getting the proper nutrition to build muscles. The flip side of eating too much is eating too little, you cannot build muscle if you are not getting the correct nutrients.
3. If you are not training to the point where you are literally too exhausted to repeat another set then chances are you are not pushing yourself to the limit. You must train to the point of muscle failure. Your brain will then receive a signal that is triggered by your muscle, this signal will tell it that more muscle needs to be grown. On the other hand you want to stimulate muscle not annihilate. The key is to listen to your body and how it is responding to muscle activation. For instance, if you did 2 sets of leg extensions and find it to difficult to do another set, your done. Only do the required number of sets to stimulate the muscle for growth.
4. Tracking your progress will help you to know where you started and where you are going. It will also help you to see what is working and what is not. This may seem obvious but sometimes people get so caught up in what they need to do to build muscle that they actually don’t think about tracking their progress. You should keep track of weight, sets, and reps. Also keep track of how many meals you had throughout the day. Measure areas of your body that you are building muscle in, so that you can know what is working for you. One of the best ways to track progress is to get on a muscle building plan that will guide you and help you to stay motivated through out your training.
5. When it comes to building muscle resting in between sets is a not good because it slows down the intensity of your training. Taking breaks that are too long will cause the intensity of your workout to decrease significantly and lessen the amount of your training. Keeping the intensity high for short intense periods is best for stimulating muscle growth
6. If you are not eating enough calories then it is impossible for you to build muscles effectively. You must create a strong anabolic environment in order to grow muscle. Not eating enough calories means that soon you will also start to lose muscle mass and this will work against your goal of gaining more muscle. It is vital that you eat protein with every meal as this is the key to building muscle.
7. You need at least 7-8 hours of rest each night before you get up the next day to train again. Resting is where you are going to build the most muscle and grow. Often times this is one big mistake that some people fall into and can have negative effects on muscle growth. So turn off the tv and get to bed at a decent time.
If you pay close attention to these seven tips and stay motivated, you should be well on your way to achieving your muscle building goals.