If you wish to build muscle mass then the key is to include protein, fats and carbohydrates in your diet. Any muscle building diet you undertake must also have a good workout routine to go along with it as this will serve as a backup for your muscle building program. The following ten tips will look at the use of proteins, carbohydrates,fats and exercise and other important factors that will help you achieve your muscle building goals:
1. Consuming protein daily with every meal is a great way to build muscle this is because it contains amino acids. Amino acids are the core building blocks for muscle protein. Athletes and those who are interested in building muscle and strength should consume more than the regular daily allowance in order to build strength. The best sources of protein are meats, fish, chicken and other dairy products.
2. Carbohydrates are also very important, eat about two to three grams for each pound that you weigh daily. If you are over 10% body fat then you really don’t need carbohydrates, you can supplement with glutamine to replace the loss of glycogen. Carbohydrates are stored in the muscles as glycogen, these help to keep the muscles firm and helps to give them enough fuel to burn during your workouts. .It is best to eat carbohydrates that take a while to digest such as oatmeal and even sweet potatoes. Stick with these complex carbohydrates as they have great nutritional value. Simple carbohydrates tend to have little nutritional value and do very little to help build muscle mass. Simple carbohydrates include foods such as honey, candy, chocolate, cake, candy and even fruits. While most simple carbohydrate should be avoided in excess, fruit tend to be the exception as these are good for you.
3. You will need to eat at least twenty calories for every pound of your body weight. You must take in more calories than you burn if you wish to develop muscle mass. If you burn more calories than you consume, then no new muscle growth will take place.
4. Make sure that you are getting enough fat as about thirty percent of your muscle mass should come from fat that you are eating. Fat should only be avoided by people who are not building muscle. However, you should only consume saturated fats as these tend to elevate testosterone levels and high testosterone levels are crucial to gaining muscle mass as well as strength. Eat such tings as nuts, avocado, and olive oils in the morning and before bedtime.
5. Eat very frequently, make sure these meals are high in proteins as well as carbohydrates. Meals should be eaten every two to three hours, in this way you will be able to get a good supply of energy and amino acids to enhance muscle growth. Make all your meals the same size, do not be tempted to let yourself go and eat a lot a one sitting as you run the risk of gaining the wrong type of weight. Remember that whatever fat your body cannot burn off will be stored. Bottom line,you should eat at least six meals of the same size daily.
6. Try drinking a protein shake (Casein Protein) just before bedtime this is because when the body is resting and needs energy, if there is no food it will resort to muscle mass. This will defeat your muscle building goal.
7. Your workout routine is extremely important when seeking to gain weight and you should try to consume protein shakes before working out to prepare your muscles for strenuous routines.
8. After your workout, get some carbohydrates in your diet as this will help you to use up glycogen energy stored in your muscle when you workout again.
9. Drink a lot of water, dehydration will cause your muscles to recover poorly after a workout.
10. Take protein supplements sometimes to complement your consumption of protein rich foods and protein shakes. While protein from foods is always best, sometimes supplements are necessary. Supplements will require that you drink a lot of water as you will get a lot of protein out of them and too much protein can be difficult to digest.
Obviously proper nutrition is important for building muscle mass but it must be combined with high intensity workouts. These workouts are short and have a strong impact on muscle building. Since everyone is different it is important that you take a good look at your muscle mass goals so that you can find the type and amount of training that you will need to achieve your goals.